Friday, October 17, 2008

Back from the dead


Well, after a long hiatus, I'm back. It's been a rough couple of weeks (with also a number of good spots) ... my black lung death cough turned into full-blown bronchitis so I finally went to the doctor. Turns out doctor visit copayments and medicine are cheap here, so that was a plus - my doctor gave me packets of frog juice and antibiotics, so that was also a plus...

I've also been giving it a lot of thought and Dathan and I decided to scrap our law school applications and stay in Korea for another year. We can reapply next year and aim for matriculating in 2010. There are a lot of long-thought out reasons for this, but I am frankly sick of deep thinking right now, so I will include them another day. Suffice to say, I am happier than I have been in a very very, long time. Instead of writing today, I will finally upload a few pictures (PROOF Santhi! PROOF!) that I have taken so far.



The above & 2 below were taken near the GOAL (korean adoptee NGO office) in Seoul.








Directly above and below: the fountain in the courtyard on the 3rd floor (the floor I live on - this is right outside my door) of my apartment building (also called an "officetel"). They randomly turn it on for about 15 minutes on random nights.



Below: The amazingly sweet, huge park 1 block from my officetel. It's surrounded by mountains and there are basketball, tennis, and badminton courts, a roller rink, fountains, a stream, sculptures (including an awesome upside-down house you can go in), playgrounds, soccer area, and places for picnics. Inline/speed skating is big here. There are also a million cute Korean kids running around, which is probably my favorite part.





Directly above and below
: The view from the roof of my building (15th floor, I think)




Below: the picture of the mountain Dathan and I attempted to climb with Nick. Well, we almost attempted to climb. The subway ride was very confusing and took us about 2 hours. So we were (verrrry) late to meet him and ended up going to an outdoor flea market instead (Dongdaemun Stadium stop). *Santhi, note the Korean writing on the bus... REAL PROOF!



Below: Two lighters on sale at the flea market.


Below: The main street (pedestrian only) by Beomgye Station. Dathan's place is right around the corner.



Below: The Pansori performance at the Chuseok (Thanksgiving) Dinner we went to at GOAL.






Above: a mind release

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your decision!!! You have 100% of my support and I'm so excited for you!! :)

As for this "proof", I don't know dude....how do I know you haven't just been in Koreatown in San Francisco this whole time? I'm gonna need you to be in a picture with the president...and just to ensure it's not photoshopped, he's gonna have to be doing something he normally wouldn't do...like moviehand.


Hahaha..seriously though, I love the pictures. Fav one so far is the Main St. by Beomgye Station, its so pretty!

CONGRATS AGAIN!! I'm proud of you for making such an important decision for yourself!

ASJ said...

Hey Hannah!

I second that congratulations! I smiled when you wrote this is the happiest you've been in a long time :). It makes me happy knowing that you're happy :)! Now maybe I can come and see you next year too, lol :).

Your pictures are great! Especially the ones of the fountain outside your door. Will it be on in two months??? Prolly not huh?

That first lighter is intense! Did you buy it?!

P.S. I answered all those damn questions you left for me, so have a look when you get a chance lol. Love you much!

Xiao Yu said...

I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!!